As community health nurses, we provide care to people ‘where they live’. One mechanism of becoming familiar with this community is to perform a windshield survey. This can be accomplished by either driving or walking through your community of interest (practicum setting) and assessing services related to health, economics, and social structure of the environment.
Rector (2018) provides guidelines for a Community Familiarization (Windshield) Survey (Table 15-4, p. 529) that should be used as the outline for your assessment. Please become acquainted with the survey categories prior to conducting the assessment.
Compose a scholarly paper to summarize your windshield survey. Write the paper in APA style, APA Citation Style (6th ed.) using the following guidelines. Include a properly formatted title page and reference page, in addition to six pages (+/- 2 pages) of content. Support your content with at least four scholarly references.
Components of the Paper:
• Title Page
• Introduction – Label the introductory paragraph with the title of the paper. This heading is in title case with a non-bold font.
• Physical Environment (Level 1 heading)
• Economic Considerations (Level 1 heading)
• Services (Level 1 heading)
• Social Structure (Level 1 heading)
• Conclusion (Level 1 heading)
o Include at least four scholarly references
This activity will be graded using the written assignment rubric.
Rector, C. (2018). Community and public health nursing (9th ed.). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer.