Case Analysis Ethics Assignment:
The Founder – MPAA Rating PG-13
This film examines Ray Kroc’s expansion of the McDonald’s fast food restaurants from a single hamburger stand into an international behemoth.
1. Watch the film. If you have already seen the movie in the past, please watch it again so the salient points are fresh in your mind.
2. Write an opinion paper of approximately 600 words that addresses the questions asked below and explain your answers. Use your strongest and most persuasive arguments as if you were trying to convince me to agree with your point of view. There are no right or wrong answers. Your true opinions are what I am interested in reading.
1. Do you believe that Ray Kroc was a visionary or a villain? Explain.
2. To what extent, if any, do you feel the McDonald brothers were victimized. Explain
3. Given that the McDonald brothers wanted to remain small and true to their original concept, do you feel they were treated fairly financially by Kroc? Explain.
4. Kroc intentionally defaulted on his contract with the McDonald brothers because he knew he could outspend them in court. What kind of safeguards should be in place to make sure that those with deep pockets can’t squash the little guy? Explain.
5. As an entrepreneur, what do you think were Kroc’s most genius strategies to grow the company? Explain.
6. Do you think McDonald’s would be as successful today if Kroc had acted more ethically in his business dealings with the McDonald brothers? Explain.
7. Do you think it is necessary to be ruthless in order to get ahead in business? Explain.