The ending stage of a group is just as important as the beginning stage. Effective termination is an important part of the therapeutic process and an expectation of the NASW Code of Ethics (1996). Some members of the group may need further therapy or services, and it is the responsibility of the clinical social worker to assess every member’s needs. Also, the members should feel that some type of closure has occurred, and this is often done through ending exercises. These exercises help the members of the group say goodbye to one another and acknowledge the group’s accomplishments. Another important part of the ending stage is the evaluation of the group intervention. The NASW Code of Ethics (1996) requires that some type of evaluation method is implemented in clinical practice. The social worker should evaluate the group’s goals and the level of success of the group process.
Toseland, R. W., & Rivas, R. F. (2017). An introduction to group work practice (8th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
· Chapter 13, “Ending the Group’s Work” (pp. 395-416)
· Chapter 14, “Evaluation” (pp. 417-443)
Plummer, S.-B., Makris, S., & Brocksen, S. M. (Eds.). (2014). Social work case studies: Concentration year. Baltimore, MD: Laureate International Universities Publishing [Vital Source e-reader].
· “Working With Organizations: The Southeast Planning Group” (pp. 51–52)
London, M. (2007). Performance appraisal for groups: Models and methods for assessing group processes and outcomes for development and evaluation. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 59(3), 175–188.
Assignment: Assessing Group Process 5
Provide a 600-word paper:
For this Assignment,
– Describe the overall process of the group and your feelings about the group experience.
– Choose an evaluation method described by Toseland & Rivas (2017) or London (2007), and use it to evaluate your group (i.e., analysis of the product, group questionnaire).
– Identify something you might have changed during this process and describe what you could have done differently.
– Group Process Assignments should integrate course concepts related to group process.
– Assignments should demonstrate critical thought when applying course material to your group experience.
– Support ideas in your Assignment with APA citations from this week’s required resources. Must contain at least 3 references and citations.