Dante and Tiffany both work for an advertising company and were assigned a new account together. Their manager, who was very intimating with a loud, assertive voice, instructed them to create a proposal for the new customer which included a design for a restaurant logo and advertising slogan to be used on several billboards throughout the area. They had one week to create the proposal before it would be presented to the restaurant owners. Their boss raised his voice and demanded that they do a good job on the presentation and secure this account.
During the first day, Dante approached Tiffany and suggested they come up with an outline to split up the work and manage their time. Tiffany immediately stated that she would take the task of the logo and would submit it at the end of the week because she wanted to make sure she received credit for her work. Although Dante would have preferred to work together on both tasks, he agreed to let Tiffany complete the logo on her own. After all, they had very little time to complete the project and do a good job on it.
Over the next two days, Tiffany ignored Dante’s requests to work together and any input or ideas he had for the project. She brought her progress directly to the boss for feedback without ever showing it to Dante. Tiffany even started working on the slogan without Dante. When Dante approached Tiffany about her actions, she told him that she was more experienced in her position than him and this is the way she gets things done. Dante stepped back and let Tiffany complete the project on her own.
At the end of the week, Tiffany presented the campaign to the restaurant owners while Dante stood to the side. The restaurant owners were impressed with the logo and slogan and decided to accept the proposal. The boss was very pleased with Tiffany and Dante’s work and suggested they work together on future accounts. Tiffany was annoyed by her boss’s suggestion but did not say anything. Dante felt very disappointed and frustrated having to work with Tiffany.
Answer the following:
1. Identify the main conflict(s) in the case study. Why are these conflicts?
2. What are the conflict triggers for Dante and how would you describe Dante’s feelings that contributed to the conflict?
3. Of the 5 Killmann’s Conflict Management Styles, which style was used by Tiffany in this case study? Describe.
4. Of the 5 Killmann’s Conflict Management Styles, which style was used by Dante in this case study? Describe.
5. How could this situation have resulted with a better outcome for all if a different type of conflict management style was used?