Must post first.
Please post thoughtful responses and comments to the following questions.
1. Define ethnocentrism and cultural relativism in your own words. Why is the cultural relativity so important in studying cultures other than one’s own?
2. Explain Erving Goffman’s major ideas of the presentation of self and impression management. How do you engage in the presentation of self in everyday life situations and manage your images to others?
3. Make list important statuses in your own life. Indicate whether each one is ascribed or achieved. Do you see any connections between ascribed and achieved statuses? Explain using examples.
4. Culture shock can often occur when you encounter a culture or subculture that is very different from your own. Please share an example of culture shock that you have experienced? Why do you think you felt this way? How can we overcome culture shock?
5. Define self-fulfilling prophecy. Think of a self-fulfilling prophecy that you’ve experienced. Based on this experience, do you agree with the Thomas theorem? Use examples from current events to support your answer.
6. What values, norms, symbols, and material objects are unique to military life? Which aspects of these are shared with civilian life?
Use APA parenthetical citations in your text and include a reference list at the end of your post. When you refer to and/or discuss any resources, you need to include a citation for that source. For more information on APA style, go to: https://sites.umgc.edu/library/libhow/apa_examples.cfm
Original question response posts should be a minimum of 250-300 words, and replies to others should each be a minimum of 75-100 words.
You must start a thread before you can read and reply to other threads