Table of Contents – use Word’s table of contents facility found on the References ribbon.
Executive Summary – 200 words
This part of the report is important as it briefly outlines the problems discussed in the report
and in addition to this, gives concise background information, analysis, and conclusions. The
purpose of an Executive Summary is to aid decision makers for leaders and managers. You
are writing a business report.
How is this different from an abstract? Well there is quite a big difference here. An abstract
is shorter, and its purpose is really just to give the reader an overview of the topic, so they
can decide if the article is relevant and worth continuing reading. Abstracts are not used in
business reports, instead they are used in academic research.
Hint: Write the Executive Summary once you have finished the main report.
REMEMBER – It is a business report, so you need to have appropriate headings, images, and
colour where appropriate.
Introduction – 300 words
Introduce Yukon Soaps – the founder, its heritage, its products, and markets. What is the overriding
mission of Yukon Soaps (is this stated on their web page)?
Body – 1500 words
Existing situation – discuss the current business. You need to:
• Identify & discuss the leadership style of Joella.
• Identify & discuss the management model used by Joella within the whole business
(Quinn’s Competing Values Framework) – how does this align with her leadership
• Identify & discuss the existing culture at Yukon Soaps? How has the leadership style
and structure facilitated this?
• The organisational structure of Yukon – how many people do they employ? Full-
• Do staff have individual roles eg production, quality, distribution, marketing, research
& development, sales, HR.
• How are the soaps made – handmade or the use of technology?
Development – discuss the developments that Joella needs to put in place to grow the
• How will the business grow – due to what – increased sales, use of new technology,
new products, increased community projects?
• Can you develop a mission statement for the business – this should include a
statement about CSR/ethics? What should Yukon’s strategy be going forward?
• What could stop Yukon Soaps achieving its strategy – environmental dangers eg
pandemic. You could undertaken environmental analysis.
• How will growth affect the business structure? We know Joella wants to hire one full
time member of staff, and she has said she needs to hire professional managers eg for
marketing that can work virtually. How many staff do you think Joella should hire and
what should their role be? Can you develop a new organisational structure to support
growth for Joella.
• Joella would like to ensure a diversity policy around recruitment, selection, induction,
training and promotion is developed. Can you advise Joella on the areas the Equalities
and Diversity policy should address and how she can implement these?
• Please advise Joella how to grow the business whilst at the same time, retaining the
existing culture of the business and supporting her employees needs, both as
individuals and within teams. Before you write anything here, please watch the
following video which shows how businesses have grown and retained people centred
• https://sk.sagepub.com/video/managing-people-part-i If you are asked to sign in
to watch this, please use your Sussex email address.
• Organisational change often creates anxiety. Using relevant change models, advise
Joella how to minimise resistance to change you suggest she implements.
Please apply relevant theories (covered in the module) to this Yukon Soaps.
Conclusion – 300 words
This will depend on your report, so you need to pull out some relevant points here. Do no introduce
any new information here.
Recommendations – 200 words
Summarise the recommendations you have made around organisational development –
• Approaches to expand (new products, technology, hire more staff)
• A new structure
• An E&D policy
• How to manage change
• Initiative to retain culture.
References – Use Harvard Referencing. Visit http://www.sussex.ac.uk/skillshub/?id=379